Last Updated on November 26, 2023 by Ray Roman
Though we tend to cruise early in the year, we have found that October is the perfect month to head down to the Caribbean. With sun-kissed beaches, crystal clear waters, and bustling urban cities, there are many places to explore in the Caribbean.
If you’re looking for a relaxing beach holiday or an adrenaline-packed adventure, the Caribbean Islands have something for everyone! Here we list our Best Caribbean Islands to Visit in October.
Let’s Get Started…
The Caribbean has more than 7,000 islands, and deciding which is best for your holiday can be difficult. With so many countries offering an array of experiences that vary from one another, you’ll need a guide to make sure you get the most out of your trip.
If an October holiday in the Caribbean is what you’re after, then these are some of the top Caribbean islands that you should consider visiting.
From island hopping around Barbados to exploring great scuba diving sites in Curaçao, some great options will ensure a memorable vacation experience in October.
The Caribbean in October Pros and cons
There are several advantages to traveling to the Caribbean in October.
- October is considered the low season.
- Hotel rates are low during this time of the year up until mid-December
- Crowds are thin, so lines and wait times are short.
- The weather is warm and remains pretty constant.
- Fewer kids travel during October.
- There are lots of jazz festivals, sailing regattas, and other events.
- Hurricane season encompasses the month of October.
- Your vacation can be ruined if you are not weather-aware.
- There can be more rain during the day in October, about 1/3 of the days in the month of October.
Don’t let the “hurricane season” dissuade you from visiting the Caribbean during October. We recommend buying travel insurance, which isn’t very expensive, to protect yourself should your trip be canceled due to the weather.
Let’s get started with the best Caribbean islands to visit in October…
Another Best Caribbean island to Visit in October is Barbados. October can be ideal because it is the low-travel season. There won’t be as many people on the island; however, you will find more affordable rates, and things are a bit more laid back.
The low travel season coincides with the wet season, but don’t let that deter you from visiting this tropical island in October. You’ll still experience plenty of sunshine and very mild temperatures. The country’s capital, Bridgetown, is full of colonial buildings and monuments that are centuries old.
The west coast of Barbados is lined with many fine beaches and calm bays, perfect for swimming and sunbathing. In addition to enjoying these beautiful features, October also presents many exciting events, such as Shark Week, where you can search for Loggerhead Turtles and swim with whale sharks and stingrays!
The country’s capital, Bridgetown, is full of colonial buildings and monuments that are centuries old.
With fantastic year-round weather, visitors can enjoy many outdoor activities, including deep-sea fishing or horse riding along the shore.
Whether you’re looking for a romantic escape or an adventure-filled family trip, there is something for everyone in Barbados, and it is one of our top-rated Best Caribbean Islands to Visit in October.
Things you can do in Barbados:
- Ride the waves at one of the many beaches.
- Attend the Crop Over Festival – it’s a month-long street party!
- Catch an outdoor movie at Olympus Theater.
- Tour centuries-old plantation houses, such as Sunbury Plantations.
- Visit the Andromeda Gardens.
- Spend an afternoon in Bridgetown.
- Go scuba diving and experience vibrant coral reefs.
- Nature lovers can take a guided birding tour of Barbados’ forests.
Visiting Aruba in October is a great vacation destination as the weather during this time is mild.
The average temperature in Aruba during October ranges from 78 – 83 degrees Fahrenheit during the day and a low of 73 to 77 degrees at night. The water temperature also hovers around 81 degrees, making it excellent for swimming and snorkeling.
Like many other Caribbean Islands, October is the peak of the season, and you will experience more showers than usual. However, you will also enjoy lots of sunshine.
For those looking for things to do aside from relaxing on the beach, there are plenty of activities like exploring old colonial churches, windsurfing, or trying some local cuisine. However, planning is recommended due to peak seasonability around this time.
Things you can do in Aruba:
- Go on a kayaking tour to explore the mangroves.
- Relax at tranquil Baby Beach.
- Learn more about Aruba’s history by visiting the National Archaeological Museum.
- Explore Hooiberg, one of Aruba’s highest mountains in Arikok National Park.
- Visit the Alto Vista Chapel
- Snorkeling in Barcadera Reef
- Go sightseeing in San Nicolas
Saint Lucia is a beautiful Caribbean destination that promises magnificent outdoor adventures and spectacular scenery. Due to its tropical climate, October is the perfect time to visit and explore this island paradise.
The island benefits from two atmospheric regimes – the Trade Winds in the winter months and the rainy seasons during summer.
In October, you’ll see excellent temperatures in the high 70s or low 80s. The chance of a hurricane during this time of year is fairly low, as St. Lucia has only had 14 hurricanes close to the island in the last 170 years.
On top of enjoying these lush natural surroundings, visitors also get to take advantage of low accommodation prices since October falls outside of peak season on the island.
This makes it an ideal time for travelers to enjoy a budget-friendly vacation while tasting paradise in Saint Lucia!
Things you can do in Saint Lucia:
- Enjoy the annual Castries Christmas Festival.
- Explore Rodney Bay Marine Park by kayak or snorkel.
- Visit the exquisite Diamond Falls Botanical Gardens.
- Conquer the Beausejour Trails at Morne Coubaril Estate.
- Visit Pigeon Island National Park and explore the island’s natural beauty.
- Go scuba diving or snorkeling in the crystal clear waters of Anse Chastanet reef.
- Hike up Petit Piton to see amazing views of the Caribbean Sea.
Trinidad & Tobago
October is a good time to visit Trinidad & Tobago, as the weather is warm and inviting. It is humid, and you can expect showers just about every day. The short-lived showers should not prevent you from enjoying these two great islands.
You will find there is hardly ever a serious threat of hurricanes.
Along with soaking up some sun at the beach, visitors can explore cultural festivals and other exciting attractions like Downtown Port of Spain or take a Buccoo Reef National Park tour. October also offers an opportunity to celebrate Caribbean culture with festivities such as Divali and T&T Carnival, two of the most popular events in Trinidad & Tobago.
With unforgettable natural beauty, delicious Creole food to sample, and vibrant music styles around umbrellaed bars serving rum punch against the backdrop of swaying palms – Trinbago’s party vibe will make any stay special! and we consider this island one of the Best Caribbean Islands to Visit in October
Things you can do in Trinidad and Tobago:
- Experience the Tobago Jazz Festival.
- Attend Carnival and partake in the celebrations.
- Go bird watching at Asa Wright Nature Centre.
- Visit Fort George and its surrounding attractions.
- Visit the Pitch Lake.
- Visit the Maracas Bay.
- Explore Poson Trail in Paria
- Visit Main Ridge Forest Reserve
- Go bird watching at Nariva Swamp
- Celebrate the festival of Diwali
Jamaica is one of the most beautiful vacation spots in the Caribbean, and October is a great time to visit. The weather is comfortable and sunny, with temperatures around 80°F (27°C). October is also a low season for tourism, so accommodation rates are often discounted.
There are plenty of activities for visitors, including swimming at the beach, hiking and exploring local parks, or taking a tour of historic sites like the Bob Marley Museum.
For us, especially when we cruise, it is one of the Best Caribbean Islands to Visit in October.
Jamaica also has lively festivals celebrating its culture throughout the month of October. With its attractions, Jamaica is the ideal destination for travelers looking to escape it all without sacrificing fun!
Things you can do in Jamaica:
- Explore historical sites, such as the Bob Marley Museum.
- Climb the multi-tiered Dunn’s River Falls.
- Enjoy the nightlife of Kingston or Negril Beach.
- Go rafting and tubing down the Martha Brae River
- Taste authentic Jamaican cuisine.
- Go on a beach tour.
One of the Best Caribbean Islands to Visit in October is Curacao. The days are warm and sunny, with temperatures averaging around 80-90 degrees Fahrenheit (27-32 degrees Celsius) during the day. Rainfall is minimal, with only 4 inches (10 cm) of rain falling over October.
The island has beautiful beaches and clear ocean views, making it a great place to relax or play. Plus, plenty of family entertainment and nightlife options line the coast.
Whether you’re planning a vacation or an adventure getaway, stocking up on camera equipment, or just looking for an excuse to get away, Curacao in October may be just what you need.
Things to do in Curacao:
- Attend the Curacao Carnival.
- Visit the Willem Storen Lighthouse.
- Snorkel in the Blue Room Cave.
- Take a tour of the Floating Market in Otrobanda.
- Attend the Curaçao North Sea Jazz Festival.
- Visit popular attractions like the Pietermaai District, Jan Thiel Beach, and Christoffel National Park.
- Spend a day snorkeling and diving at Playa Lagun.
Antigua in October is an absolutely wonderful time to visit! Days are sunny and warm, with average temperatures ranging from 25-32 degrees Celsius. The skies are blue with only an occasional light rain shower.
More activities are available in October than you could ever hope to accomplish. Boat trips and snorkeling expeditions, excellent restaurants, festivals, and fairs the list goes on! The beaches of Antigua in October are full of clear turquoise waves that swirl against white sandy shores.
Add to that a vibrant nightlife scene fueled with local music and plenty of welcoming locals, and what you have is a highly memorable trip.
Things to Do in Antigua:
- Tour the island’s sugar plantations.
- Participate in the Antigua Sailing Week.
- Exploring the area’s vibrant cultural heritage at sites like St. John’s Cathedral and Nelson’s Dockyard.
- Visiting Antigua’s historic sites, such as Fort James and Betty’s Hope.
- Hiking up to Shirley Heights Lookout for sunset drinks with panoramic views over the harbor.
- Relaxing on one of Antigua’s many beaches (Half Moon Bay, Long Bay Beach, or Darkwood Beach).
October is a great time to visit Anguilla since the weather during this month tends to be mild and pleasant. Anguilla’s summer season during October offers tourists gorgeous beaches with crystal clear, turquoise waters to explore and plenty of water sports opportunities, making it an ideal location for an aquatic adventure.
The island is known for its seascapes and stunning views, so sightseeing and photography are also great activities to enjoy. Plus, the local cuisine, which features both Creole-style dishes and traditional Caribbean flavors, is a must-try for any visitor searching for incredible culinary experiences that will stay with them long after leaving Anguilla.
All in all, if you’re looking for a tropical paradise getaway that won’t break the bank, October is probably one of the best months to visit Anguilla.
Things to Do in Anguilla:
- Visit Shoal Bay Beach for world-class white sand and crystal blue waters
- Take a dive into Prickly Pear Marine Sanctuary to explore its vibrant coral gardens.
- Visit the Wallblake House, an 18th-century
- Go snorkeling and explore coral reef ecosystems.
- Relax on one of the island’s 33 pristine beaches.
- Visit the Wallblake House, an 18th-century plantation house.
- Take a cooking class at Anguilla Culinary Society & Wine Institute.
October is a great time to visit Bonaire as the island’s public beaches are in full bloom, autumn air is warm and sunny, and the sea offers divine relaxing moments.
The annual International Sea Turtle Festival highlights the importance of protecting these creatures on October 19–21. Nature lovers can bask in the beauty of Washington-Slagbaai National Park with its endemic wildlife, glorious mountains, ancient Indian paintings, and salt-flat landscape.
Adventure seekers have many activities at their disposal, such as surfing, kayaking, stand-up paddleboarding, windsurfing, kite-surfing, or sailing.
With plenty of restaurants serving top-notch local dishes like pumpkin soup in coconut milk or fun events such as Stinapa Wildlife Photo Week – Bonaire is an adventurous place to spend your October month!
Things to do in Bonaire:
- Mountain biking and bird watching in Washington Slagbaai National Park.
- Swimming with sea turtles and manta rays at Klein Bonaire.
- Explore Klein Bonaire, a quiet island off the coast of Bonaire.
- Scuba or snorkeling around the famous Bari Reefs and dive sites.
Grand Cayman is a breathtaking destination to visit during the month of October. Grand Cayman offers something for everyone in October with sun-drenched beaches, exciting watersports activities, and some exquisite dining experiences.
The famously temperate climate provides ideal conditions for eating outside, wandering through botanical gardens, watching idyllic Caribbean sunsets, and exploring its sandy trails.
Plus, with easier access to the attractions that you’ll find on land and at sea, it’s no surprise that October is one of the best times to visit Grand Cayman. We have visited the Grand Cayman several times and highly recommend it as one of the Best Caribbean Islands to Visit in October
Things to do in Grand Cayman:
- Stingray City Sandbar: Interact and swim with stingrays!
- Turtle Farm: Feed and learn about the Caymanian Green Sea Turtles.
- Seven Mile Beach: Take a long stroll along pure white sand beaches lined with amazing resorts, hotels & bars.
- Rum Point: Take a boat or water taxi to enjoy one of the most popular beaches on Grand Cayman and some amazing local food & drinks!
- Hike through Mastic Trails Reserve and take in sweeping views of Grand Cayman’s untouched vegetation and wildlife.
October is one of the best times to visit the island of Guadeloupe. With temperatures in the low 80s (F) and a little over 3 inches of rainfall, October is both warm and dry – perfect for a relaxing beach stay.
The Caribbean hurricane season usually ends in October, leaving plenty of long sunny days ahead and low precipitation rates that provide great conditions for outdoor activities such as hiking, kayaking, snorkeling, swimming, or boat tours.
After a day in the sun and salt exploring the beautiful beaches or waterfalls, come back to your hotel decked out with coconut trees and beautiful views.
Things to do in Guadeloupe:
- Visit La Soufrière Volcano, a volcanic mountain rising over Basse-Terre island.
- Take part in cultural experiences like hiking and shopping in Pointe-à-Pitre, or watching traditional dance performances by local people.
- Wildlife spotting at Pigeon Island Nature Reserve.
- Explore the Pointe des Châteaux beach and bay.
- Visit the Basse Terre Waterfall
- Take a trip to La Désirade island for some snorkeling.
- Explore the vibrant UNESCO World Heritage site of Vieux Habitation in Sainte Anne.
St. Barts (St. Barthelemy)
Saint Barthélemy is a great destination to travel to in October, with plenty of beautiful weather and attractions. With temperatures rarely falling below 75 degrees Fahrenheit, the heat allows visitors to enjoy various activities.
From swimming and snorkeling at one of the many picturesque beaches on the tight ridges of St Barth’s coral skeleton island formation to shopping in Gustavia’s duty-free stores for designer jewelry and clothing, there is something for everyone in this Caribbean paradise that doubles as a celebrity hideaway.
The nightlife is bustling, too; several clubs stay open late for those wanting some entertainment. As autumn creeps closer, taking a trip to Saint Bart’s in October is one of the best holidays you can take this season!
Things to do in St. Barts:
- Tour Saint Barthélemy’s chic fashion boutiques and art galleries.
- Visit the lively capital of Gustavia with its French-style restaurants and bars.
- Take a day trip to Colombier Beach and snorkel in the warm, shallow waters.
Andros Island, Bahamas
For outdoor activities and great beaches, October is an excellent time to visit Andros Island, Bahamas.
October is the beginning of the dry season, meaning there is less humidity and rain in the forecast, which creates a pleasant atmosphere perfect for exploring parks or renting a bike and riding around the streets of beautiful Andros Island.
With plenty of sunny days during this time of year, beachgoers can take advantage of swimming, snorkeling, water sports, and more.
The ocean waters off Andros also feature some of the best fishing in all of the Caribbean, as sport fishermen often travel here during October in search of trophy-sized tuna, marlin, wahoo, dolphin fish, and much more!
Things to do on Andros Island:
- Snorkel the 3rd Largest Barrier Reef in the World.
- Visiting the bird sanctuary to observe nesting waterfowl
- Taking a guided tour of historical landmarks such as Fort Mathew.
- Snorkel and dive in the crystal clear waters at South Bight.
- Take a tour of the Blue Holes National Park.
Turks & Caicos
Turks & Caicos in October is an excellent time to visit. The warm weather is perfect; not too hot and not too cold, but just right. With crystal clear turquoise waters, white sandy beaches, and plenty of sunshine, you’ll have no trouble having a great vacation.
There are many activities for adventurers, including diving with the vibrant marine life, SUP boarding around the nearby islands, or sailing from island to island, embracing all the great scenery.
Tourists can also take advantage of the lower rates at some hotels during this time. October in Turks & Caicos promises fun, sun, and adventure!
Things to do in Turks & Caicos:
- Take a stroll around Grace Bay Beach, one of the most amazing beaches in the world.
- Explore Providenciales’ amazing coral reef system by boat.
- Enjoy sunrise and sunset views from Longbay Beach.
- Visit Sapodilla Hills Nature Reserve to take in breathtaking views and go bird-watching.
Best Caribbean Islands to Visit in October Final Thoughts
October is a great time to visit the Caribbean Islands. The climate is at its best, offering beautiful weather for lounging on the beach or exploring your favorite islands. You will likely avoid the hurricane season and tropical storms this month, so the chance of rain is small.
Just in case, make sure you have travel insurance.
October also offers an opportunity to experience some of the festivities and cultural traditions of the region. There are plenty of Caribbean Islands to explore in October, including each island’s unique attractions, restaurants, and experiences.
Whether you’re looking for romantic honeymoon destinations or family-friendly getaways, there are plenty of options for planning a Caribbean vacation this month.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where can you avoid hurricane season in October?
The Caribbean islands where you will least likely encounter a hurricane are Aruba, Curacao, and Bonnaire.
What is the safest Caribbean island?
St. Barts is the safest or at least one of the safest islands in the Caribbean. Other very safe islands include the Cayman Islands and the Virgin Islands.
Recommended Article We’ve Written